Paul Spengemann receives ART COLOGNE Award for NEW POSITIONS 2017
The winner of this year's ART COLOGNE Award for NEW POSITIONS has been chosen: the jury of renowned art experts decided in favour of an animation work of the artist Paul Spengemann, who is represented by the Produzentengalerie (Hamburg). Spengemann will receive the award on 28 April 2017 at 2:00 p.m. on the occasion of a festive award ceremony for the 51st ART COLOGNE. The prize money to the amount of 10,000 Euro endowed by Deutsche Telekom will flow into a solo exhibition in the artothek in Cologne, which is being opened for ART COLOGNE 2018.
With Paul Spengemann, born 1987 in Henstedt-Ulzburg, ART COLOGNE this year honours a promising talent of the young German art scene. In his video "About Falling in Love and Even Little Rubber Ducks", Paul Spengemann makes use of an advertising aesthetic that stands in sharp contrast with the reduced narration and the purist images of his workspace. Tracking shots, alternation between close-ups and wide shots, as well as suggestive sound allow an advertising language to resonate that is sensibly amplified by presentation on a large LED wall element. In his video, Paul Spengemann is able to develop a memorable and sensual tension that, despite the extremely open exhibition booth, is able to keep concentration directed to the work.
The NEW POSITIONS 2017 jury was composed of Astrid Bardenheuer (Head of artothek - Raum für junge Kunst), Oriane Durand (Artistic Director of the Dortmunder Kunstverein), Yilmaz Dziewior (Director of Museum Ludwig), Nathalie Hoyos (Curator of the Art Collection Telekom), Antje Hundhausen (Deutsche Telekom) and Moritz Wesseler (Director Kölnischer Kunstverein)
You can have a look at the work of Paul Spengemann here:
An overview of NEW Positions 2017:
* Andreas Schmitten (König Galerie, Vienna)
* Tobias Nink (Heinz Holtmann, Cologne)
* Franziska Holstein (Klaus Gerrit Friese, Berlin)
* Mia Goyette (Galerie Luis Campana, Berlin)
* Péter Szalay (acb Gallery, Budapest)
* Hedwig Houben (Galerie Fons Welters, Amsterdam)
* Titus Schade (Galerie Eigen + Art, Berlin/Leipzig)
* Clément Cogitore (Galerie Reinhard Hauff, Stuttgart)
* Andreas Johnen (Galerie Jochen Hempel, Leipzig)
* Jugoslav Mitevski (Petra Rinck Galerie, Düsseldorf)
* Peter Puklus (Galerie Conrads, Düsseldorf)
* Nicola Gördes und Stella Rossié (Galerie Jürgen Becker, Hamburg)
* Stefan Vogel (Galerie Fred Jahn, Munich)
* Kenny Wong (Pearl Lam Galleries, Hong Kong)
* Sebastian Koch (Galerie Krobath, Vienna)
* Ralph Schuster (Galerie Linn Lühn, Düsseldorf)
* Arne Schmitt (Galerie Jacky Strenz, Frankfurt/Main)
* Christine Wang (Galerie Nagel Draxler, Cologne)
* Toni Schmale (Christine König Galerie, Vienna)
* Paul Spengemann (Produzentengalerie Hamburg)
You can find more information about the artists and their works under: http://www.artbutler.de/new-positions/
In the past year, Gerrit Frohne-Brinkmann received the ART COLOGNE Award for NEW POSITIONS, made possible by Deutsche Telekom. In the exhibition linked with the prize, he now realises a new work in the artothek - Space for young art (Cologne). In his exhibition "WE HAVE A T-REX", which opens on 27 April 8 p.m., Gerrit Frohne-Brinkmann traces the aesthetic positing and image icons of the film industry.
About the sponsorship programme
Since 1980, ART COLOGNE and the Bundesverband Deutscher Galerien und Kunsthändler e.V. (German association of galleries and art dealers (BVDG)) have been contributing with the NEW POSITIONS sponsorship booths to providing young artists from Germany and abroad with an entry point to the art market. The striving artists receive the opportunity to show their works to an international public in 25 square metre booths next to the stands of their gallery owners. The financial and administrative resources for the sponsorship programme are provided by the Federal Government Commissioner for Culture and the Media, the federal state of North Rhine-Westphalia, the Bundesverband Deutscher Galerien und Kunsthändler (German association of galleries and art dealers) and the Koelnmesse.
Tel +49 221 821-2076
Fax +49 221 821-3544
Note for editorial offices:
ART COLOGNE photos are available in our image database on the Internet at www.artcologne.com in the "Press" section.
Press information is available at: www.artcologne.com/Pressinformation
If you reprint this document, please send us a sample copy.
ART COLOGNE on Facebook: